Monday 11 February 2008

Brighton beach, 10th February 2008


Out of all the balloons I've caught over the last 2.5 years plus, this is my favourite so far, and I think I'll do well to beat it. The sunset was incredible, neon red silhouetting the gutted pier, the wheeling starlings just visible at left, the lazy viscous waves... a snapshot scarcely does the scene justice. The balloon, green although the camera doesn't betray that in this light, was ripped furiously from left to right by the wind and waves, so much so that a minute before I was about to leap down from the concrete groyne to the beach to attempt to snap it in the surf. I'm glad I didn't. It shot past the end of my perch so quickly I had only a few seconds to capture it before it was lost against the darkening waters.

It is doomed, as are all the others, but what a final journey.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: